Thursday, November 24, 2016

Of Stress and Gratitude


If something had to break, better my night mouthguard than a coronary artery. This is what's left of my tension-surpressing night guard that is supposed to keep me from clenching my teeth during sleep. It's a tiny thing, custom-made by my dentist, that clicks on over my front bottom teeth. As you can see in the photo, the device is not much wider than a couple of Franklin D. Roosevelt heads, but it does a mighty job. It has been holding back the over 250 lbs. of pressure a human bite can exert.

I got it less than a year out following my One and Only SCAD when my dentist suggested perhaps I was tense. Well...she didn't exactly suggest that I was tense. She outright told me: "You've been through hell-and-back with your heart. Of course you're tense!

I had come in to see her with tooth pain that turned out to be a diagonal pressure crack from the surface of the tooth to the gum line. The film of my molar, enlarged on her screen, looked like the aftermath of an earthquake, like an image from my undergrad geology textbook. All that pressure had opened up a pathway for bacteria to make its way into the roots and I ended up with four root canals, a complete crown, and this small clear device that I was to wear every night to prevent anything else from cracking in my mouth. 

It looks pitiful now broken in two. This wasn't supposed to happen. 
It's fabricated out of a forever substance that the manufacturer's website only refers to as a "Discluding Element." Somehow my jaw clenching had decimated a substance that can dangle whole elephants from steel building girders and act as a crash barrier between locomotives. 

Now what? The Thanksgiving holiday is about to dawn and I am days away from my dentist's office being open. Can I actually try to sleep over the next few night without clenching? That is harder than it sounds. 

My dentist has explained the clenching behavior and the hell-and-back to me a few times now and in a few different ways. My favorite analogy she uses is that people who clench their teeth at night usually know how to keep themselves calm and are high-functioning during the day. It's as if they put the stress and worries that come up in their minds away in a file cabinet during the day to deal with later and go on with their jobs or responsibilities at hand. But guess when they start rummaging through those filing cabinets? In my case, I think I am probably a researcher pulling an all-nighter.

Sound familiar?  How many of us SCAD survivors are also high-functioning filers by day and teeth-clenchers by night?

Maybe the only solution is to reverse it, at least until I get a new night mouthguard. 

At the dinner table this Thanksgiving I shall say: "I am grateful to express my stress and worries during the day, rather than all night long."

There!

Look out, family. 

2 comments:

  1. Love this Kim! I'm the same - major teeth clenched at night - trying to keep it all together & look calm during the day. I've meant to look into getting one of those mouth pieces myself. I can only imagine your teeth clenching that led to that virtually unbreakable device to break in two. Goodness. Hope you can reverse that stress to day.... good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suffered a SCAD on my fathers 98th birthday (he is still living!) on 11/17/16. I too, am as you describe--have it all together during the day. My day is mapped out from alarm off at 415 am, to gym at 515, to work, to errands, to see my Dad to home. At night it all comes crashing down. I wear a nightguard, have for over 15 yrs. But the past few weeks before SCAD, I was under increased stress. Not sleeping well, waking at night, 8-10 times with my mind racing. My spouse telling me I am talking in my sleep and I was having strange dreams. I kept telling him "I cant turn it off". I should have listened to my body a few weeks ago (hindsight is 20/20) and tried to manage my stress. I feel that and possible autoimmune connection (if I test positive for FMD) contributed to my SCAD. Now, I patiently (well, trying to be patient) wait to hear from MGH to schedule appointment hopefully sooner rather than later with MDs (hoping Malissa Wood or Mark Lindsay) to help me as I am still having ongoing chest pressure. I am trying to relax, stay positive, but it is very difficult! Thank you for listening!

    ReplyDelete